Monday, January 26, 2009

What is Peace?

I do not know that I truly know what peace is....I sat in a discussion at a homeschool meeting tonight on this and I really felt God talking to me. Actually the topic was on peacemaking or making peacemakers (within your children) in your home....Going to scripture, James 3:13-18 13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.
To me this meant you first need to have peace within.....it has to come from a steadfast faith in Him and through obedience in Him and to His word. Romans 5 speaks of this and it is overwhelming in such a beautiful way. I was in tears on the way home tonight just thinking of how Good God is! I have been praying for Him to do work in me and through me and I feel it happening - it is very powerful. I see it happening around me, and I am awe-struck. I cannot say I know how to process it all, but I am trying. I know I have to learn to not be easily offended - to really live and show the fruits of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22). I need to be more Godly, more Christlike. I want this, I pray for this, I need this. Pray for me, will you?



I am a music driven person, scripture resonates through song with me, and there is so much wonderful worship music out there today that speaks to me.....one of the scriptures mentioned tonight talking about peace was Hebrews 11 which makes me think of the song by Jeremy Camp, Walk By Faith. It is one of my favorite snip-its from the bible, for we walk by faith...faith in the Lord, for we cannot see Him, but we believe He is there! This has been my foundation in Christ as I am sure it is most Christians, it's just close to home in that verse if that makes any sense. I think one verse that really spoke to me tonight is Hebrews 12:14 - 14Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. I want to have peace like God wants us to know and have. I don't want to live in strife and struggle with my kids or my spouse or my daily life. I want God's peace and will for my life.I want to show God's love to people and I know I need to start with forgiveness and love. I am praying for all of these things and it may take a life time, but I am working on it and I know God is working on me!

No comments: